Facts about NATIN
Norfolk Assists Those In Need Inc (NATIN Inc) has been formed as a not for profit organisation to apply for, raise and distribute, emergency type funding towards assisting those who require urgent medical evacuation (medivac) for off-shore emergency medical and/or hospital attention. NATIN aims to liaise and co-operate with other organisations with similar or complementary objectives. At all times the Association will keep the Norfolk community informed of the objectives and benefits available through the Association. The Association plans to apply for such grants or sources of funding as may be available to fund the objectives of the Association. This will include philanthropic gifts and at least one major fundraiser throughout each calendar year.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR ASSISTANCE AND WHAT IS THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA?
Financial assistance is considered for those people who meet the eligibility criteria and who are in need of urgent medical evacuation by either medivac flight; or by commercial flight to either Australia or New Zealand. They must be accompanied by a medically qualified travelling escort and be medivac’d for the purposes of emergency offshore medical or hospital treatment that is not available locally. This does not cover those people who need to go to the mainland for tests, x-rays or on-going medical treatment.
Category One Applicants:
People who have ordinarily resided on Norfolk Island for a period of three continuous years prior to the medivac and;
Category Two Applicants:
People who have ordinarily resided on Norfolk Island for a period of one to three years prior to the medivac.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO REFER?
Referring medical practitioners, general practitioners, or registered medical specialists will be requested to submit a supporting statement for each application.
HOW TO APPLY?
Applicants can go to http://www.norfolkonlinenews.com/natin-application-form and download the Application form or alternatively an Application form can be collected from the Norfolk Island Hospital. A family member or friend may apply for assistance on behalf of the person who is to be medevac’d off the Island.
WHAT KIND OF ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE?
Travel in and around the city and return airfare to Norfolk Island, reasonable living expenses, and accommodation
WHAT IS PROVIDED IN THE PACK
- For Category One Applicants --- a credit card with $1500 for use to spend on transport or accommodation is available.
- For Category Two Applicants - a credit card with $500 for use to spend on transport or accommodation is available.
- For both Category One and Two Applicants:
- Mobile phone with sim card and $100 credit
- Map of Prince of Wales hospital and neighboring accommodation
- Map of St George Hospital and neighboring accommodation
- Handy phone numbers
WHO CONSIDERS AN APPLICATION?
A Fund Distribution Committee (FDC) within NATIN will consider and approve all Applications.
The FDC will comprise of not more than three (3) persons, who are not members of the Association, and who are selected and engaged by the Association's Executive Committee with the Association's Treasurer being an ex officio member of the FDC with no voting rights.
The functions and duties of the FDC are:
- To consider Applications from Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria as stated above who are identified by the FDC as being within the parameters of eligibility for assistance.
- The FDC has in the first instance, absolute authority as to approval and granting of assistance applications.
- Upon receipt of the completed Application form the successful recipient of the funding assistance is then under an obligation to provide to the FDC evidence of expenditure of the financial assistance given. This expenditure can be used for transport, accommodation, living expenses and phone costs whilst on the mainland for emergency medical treatment. All monies not expended by the recipient must be returned in full to the FDC.
- The FDC is to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate at all times, sensitivity towards and the privacy of the circumstances and situation of the proposed recipient.
Full details on the Objectives, Operation and Eligibility of NATIN Inc can be found at http://www.norfolkonlinenews.com/natin-application-form - NATIN Inc Constitution.
It is our hope to run at least one main fundraiser per year and have sufficient funds to cover those Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria and therefore are entitled to assistance.
NATIN members include a Fundraising/Events Committee, a General Committee and a Funds Distribution committee.
Any assistance is welcomed and donations to NATIN Inc. would be gratefully accepted
Contact people are Naomi Thompson (President) 56010 or Lou Tavener (Secretary) 50777
Further information and downloads:
NATIN fact sheet (278 KB)
NATIN Medivac care pack (1061 KB)